Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Chasing Daylight...

We are at the time of year when you just never know how much daylight you have left. It was a beautiful day here in Fort Collins and even though the wind had blown most of the day the flags were barely moving on my ride home. I came home, changed clothes and was on roadie by 4:20. I took measure of the height of the sun above the foothills. It was just over a fist at arms length. Since this was the first post work road ride of the year, I was just guessing about how far I could make it. I thought I had about an hour.

I road part of the Bingham hill loop in reverse but left off a bit out of concern for darkness. I finished by doing a short up and back to the top of Bingham off of Overland Trail. The sun was just starting to set and Bingham Hill actually has two hills, the first shorter and the second larger and longer. In between the two hills is a small valley. I crested the first hill in sun, dropped into the shady valley and had a temporary sunset, and then made it to the top of Bingham hill and back into the sun. It was like cheating the inevitability of sunset, if only for a short time.

I made it back to Overland Trail and then saw the last, and real sunset of my ride. I often wonder how many people actually see the moment the sun sets behind the hills. I got to enjoy this moment today and I think I will try and make a habit of it.

No comments: