Friday, February 2, 2007

Moustache Bars


I have been eyeing some moustache bars for a time now. I converted a 1973 Schwinn Le Tour that I got from the local bike co-op, Bike Against, here in Fort Collins. Incidentally, Bike Against is a great group that is hooking up folks with bikes at no cost, just donations. Now donations to them are things like old parts, bike grease, any spare junk you may have laying around not big money donations. Raphael, the bloke who started it all is a great guy and should be commended. But I digress.

Anyway, I have been coveting these moustache bars on Rivendell's site for a number of weeks. Of course I priced them at Nashbar and they have a set that is much cheaper but a completely different geometry. The bars on the Riv site are based on a copper mock up that one of the guys there tested and re-designed, re-tested, etc. That seems like the way to make things, so I went with them. I just talked to John at Riv and he let me know that the bars were in stock and should be to me by next Thursday. Something to look forward to.

I am also testing these because they say some folks really like to use them on a tandem. We currently have a tandem that is a tad small for me and I am thinking I may be able to use a set of moustache bars to make it more comfortable. For now we will just check them out on the fixie and go from there.

No comments: