Saturday, February 10, 2007

The Heron Trip

The weather here in Colorado had been really cold until this past week. We actually had a few days in the 50's. Now we are back to highs in the 30's and it looks like this next week is supposed to be cold as well. Last weekend Christi and I decided to take advantage of a sunny Saturday afternoon and go for a bike ride on some trails around town. We have probably 20 miles or more of dedicated paved ped/bike trails here in town and they actually plow the trails here before most of the streets. Since I often read Up in Alaska , Oil is for Sissies, and Spokes of a Wheel, I decided to take my camera with me on this little ride. Tim at Spokes was recently on a hike on the C&O canal and had an encounter with herons. I myself had a great little run in with a heron and got as close to a heron as I ever have. We saw the bird on the Spring Creek trail on our way back west after reaching the eastern junction between the Poudre River Trail and the Spring Creek Trail. The heron was in Spring Creek just enjoying life and did not seem bothered by me until I got fairly close. Urban wildlife is amazing and you really can see some great things right in town if you just take the time to look.

No comments: